For more widgets please visit www.yourminis.com

Saturday, May 15, 2010

My labor story


Me at 9 cm...I think this was around 12 or so

So I will have another post about Owen and being a mother, but I first want to blog about my labor process. For some reason I really didn't think that I would go into labor on my own, and that I would be induced on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I also was expecting that I would probably have to have a C section, just because it seems like most of the people I know ended up needing them. Little did I know, I was completely wrong on all accounts.

I woke up on Sunday, May 10th feeling a little uncomfortable and thinking that I may be getting some light contractions but nothing consistent or strong. I really didn't know what labor felt like, so I really didn't know. As I continued on with the day and went to my sister and brother in laws house for a Mother's Day cookout, things started to feel a bit stronger. It felt like I was having bad menstrual cramps that would come and go. People around me could tell that something was going on. We started timing them around 7:00, and they continued to keep coming. We got up to around being 5 minutes apart. At this point, they were uncomfortable, but still very bearable. Patrick called the after hours number for my doctor, and they told us that it would be a good idea to go ahead and go to the hospital. We came back home and quickly packed up the rest of our bags and gave our puppy a kiss goodbye. I let my parents know that I thought this was the real thing and that they could head on down.

We made it to the hospital around 11:00 or so. I went to triage where I was checked and told that I was only 1 centimeter dialated. I was hoping to be further, but since I hadn't been anything the Thursday before, I knew something was in the works. The doctor made me walk around the 9th floor of Good Sam for an hour and then said she would check again to see if any progress had been made. After the long and boring stroll around, I was checked and was still just one centimeter. A little bummed, but still not feeling too unbearable. We were given the option to stay or to go home for a little bit and come back. Since I wasn't in too terrible pain, we decided to come home. I wanted Patrick to try and get at least some sleep. They gave me a sleeping pill and told me to try and rest. They also said that if I could sleep, then it may not be real labor. We arrived home around 12:30 or 1ish, and my parents were here. Patrick went to bed and I tried to lay down as well. Then things got much much much stronger. I couldn't lay down and for sure couldn't sleep. I came out to the family room and pretty much paced around. The pain became really intense like nothing I'd ever felt. My sweet Bella hung out with me, and I even carried her around some while I paced and winced in pain. Finally at around 5:10, I could take it no longer. I woke Patrick up and told him that we needed to leave now. I was really afraid of the car ride to the hospital because I was in so much pain.

We got back to the hospital at about 5:40 or so, and they checked me again. I was three centimeters at this point and they admitted me and got me in a room. They told me that I could get the epidural at any point, so I really didn't waste much time. I got it around 8:00 in the morning of May 10th. I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful it was to get that. I went from wanting to die, to being pretty darn comfortable. The contractions continued to come, but I sure couldn't feel them. One of the nurses even commented that the contractions on the monitor were strong and extremely long. I was sooo glad I had the epidural. I had heard that epidurals can slow down your labor, so I was a little worried about that but I felt so much better that I didn't even really care if it lasted longer. Anyways, I continued to progress and progress each time they checked me. At around 2:00, I was fully dialated and ready to push. At this point, I still could not feel the contraction pain, but I could feel pressure when I had a contraction. That made it easier for me to push I think. With a nurse holding one leg, and Patrick holding the other, I started the pushing process. With every contraction, I took one deep breath, let it out, then another, held it in and pushed with all my might for 10 seconds. Then I did it again so I pushed 3 times with each contractions. I pushed for around an hour and 15 minutes. I was starting to get a little tired. It was hard work. The doctor and nurse were impressed and thought I did an excellent job pushing. I had not planned on looking in that area as I was giving birth, but I did end up curious and took a peek at the head coming out. The last few pushes were getting tiring, and I remember just wanting to get him out already. Then at 3:13 in the afternoon, I got my wish. My little boy came out without any extra help and was placed on my chest. I was overjoyed and exhausted and overwhelmed. I cried immediately. There is nothing like that feeling. They then took him over to check him out while the doctor finished up with me. I did have to be cut just a little, which I didn't even really know about. I thought he might have, but it didn't hurt at all. Patrick got to see Owen and take pictures and instantly posted to facebook. Pretty soon our family got to come in and see us. At this point, I had a fever of 102. My body had just worked so hard. I had to get antibiotics through the IV, but they did the trick and I felt better in not too long. The whole hour or two after was surreal, and I felt kinda loopy with a fever like that. I soon got moved to the post partum room, since on the IV for antibiotics. I got rid of the fever and felt much better, although exhausted and overwhelmed as well. But I had the most perfect baby that I had ever seen. I was instantly in love. I'm not sure who he looks like more, but I think he will be a good mix of us.

So that's my story. I think that I pretty much prepared for the worst, or at least for worse, so I consider myself extremely lucky. I wouldn't say that it was easy, but I could have had it much worse. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I can't tell you how much the epidural helped, and would recommend it to anyone. More power to you if you want to go the natural route...that's awesome. But it wasn't for me. I was comfortable and not nearly as tired, so it made things so much better. I guess I would have gotten through it, but I can't imagine contractions for several hours more than what I already had. I think I would have been so worn down and may not have been able to push as well. Anyways, that's my labor story. I will post more about the first few days home with my little angel....yes he has been an angel....but I'm a little preoccupied right now. About time for another feeding ;)

Also, tons of pictures are posted here if you want to see: http://picasaweb.google.com/whitepj/BabyOwen#

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your delivery went awesome! I'm so happy for you that you were able to avoid the induction. Congrats on your beautiful little Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Beth! I'm glad to hear that everything went so well--seems like everyone is trying to scare me with birth horror stories these days, so this was quite refreshing. All the best to you guys!

    ReplyDelete